Saturday 26 May 2012

Day of the Fish; failed to complete the plan...

So today I dodn't achieve everything intended.

 Thwarted by torrential rain, I failed to see really any views from the Peak. Having walked to the Peak Tram, the rain started as we left the bottom station. I circumnavigated the Peak, 3.8km in torrential rain. My dress, and even my new Adidas rain jacket were soaked through. I might as well have swum round it, had I been a fish. If I had seen something I would have been happy, but there was no visibility through the rain and clouds. Almost a glimpse of the south side of HK Island, but not quite... So missed the planned extended walk, and descended, defeated and soaked, in the tram.

No time to go back to the hotel to change, so moved onwards... Star ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui, and then a taxi to Mong Kok, and the Bird Market. Pretty little things in pretty cages. Noisy, and bustling with sparrows trying to steal the caged birds' food. Then the flower market, the goldfish market (a whole street lined with shops and stalls selling goldfish in bags, and other pretty aquarium fish), and then the Ladies' Market. Nothing but tat, as far as the eye could see.

A couple of glasses of prosecco in the Aqua Bar with Dave Edwards, surprised to find him here in HK, and then watched the light show on the HK Island skyscrapers from the waterfront. Pretty spectacular, just a tad touristy.

 Back by Star Ferry, and a good supper in the da pai dong street restaurant. It's been good, and it's an interesting place, but it isn't China. It's British, and Chinese, without quite getting the best of either, and certainly full of the worst of Western excess. As Max said yesterday, it's 'easy Asia', and I'm longing to get back to the real thing again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment